I can hear you all now – “Rome? In the summer?” – yes, it’s bold, it will be hot. But fear not, we won’t actually be staying in Rome, but in Ostia Antica on the coast near Rome. We are planning to get the train into the city for a couple of day trips, and may have to be quite flexible with our plans for these days depending on the heat. As with most destinations of Europe, when packing for Rome the time of year makes a massive difference to what you’ll need.
Matt and I actually spent a couple of hours in Rome on the way to the airport from Umbria (read about our trip), but we only had time to admire the colosseum from the outside before racing down the forum to the big altar.
This time I’m really hoping to actually see inside the colosseum, as well as go to the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain, and hopefully the Vatican too if we can fit it in. Not all in one day obviously. But like I said, we may have to re-evaluate depending on the heat.
And yes, before you warn me, we are definitely going to book tickets for the colosseum and the Vatican.
things to consider when packing for Rome
- Temperatures are likely to be in the mid 30s, so dressing to stay cool is the top priority and suncream is essential to survival.
- Especially in the city centre we’ll be walking a lot, so when it comes to shoes, comfort is more important than fashion.
- Pick pocketing is rife so will need a secure bag.
- In the height of summer Rome is plagued by mosquitos, so insect repellent will be needed for evening meals out.
- If we want to go inside churches or go to the Vatican we’ll need to dress modestly, so maybe light trousers or a long summer dress, and some sort of sarong or light cardigan that can be packed and whipped out.
my Rome summer packing list
- shoes to walk in
- light trousers/long summer dress
- cap & sunglasses
- secure backpack
- cardigan/sarong to throw on in churches
- hand sanitiser
- insect repellent (we always use Avon Skin So Soft)
- cash (Euros)
- sun cream
relaxing by the pool/going to the beach:
- tank tops
- swimming costume, bikini & sarong
- sun hat, sunglasses
- sun cream & after sun
- beach tote
- flip flops
going out for dinner:
- cardigan/denim jacket
- hand bag
- insect repellent
- underwear & socks
- eticket/boarding pass
- debit card
- phone charger
- toothbrush & toothpaste
- shower gel, shampoo & conditioner, colour-protecting hairspray
- make-up & make-up remover
- razor, nail scissors, tweezers
- gradual tan
- hay fever meds (tablets, nasal spray, eye drops)
ideas for clothes:
I’ll be updating my Instagram all week with our adventures, and you can look out for at least two posts about Rome when I come back!
Have you been before? Any tips on what to add when packing for Rome or anything I’ve missed? Let me know in the comments!